Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Task marked complete

Date

23 March 2017

Attendees

  • Kuo, Jiun-Huei C

  • Kolah, Debra

  • Koffler, Jeff
  • Byrd, Sid
  • Focke, Amanda
  • Prendeville, Jet
  • Vieira, Scott
  • Guest: Sewell, Jeanette

 

Discussion Items

  1. Jeff showed the team the new Contact Us page (with the Social Media link suppressed). Debra mentioned that the Ambassadors liked it but still had questions about the Social Media information. We will wait until summer to gather more feedback from the graduate students. The Services page has not changed; Jeff has a draft version on test system and will send the link to the team for feedback. [Note: this has been done  http://library-test.rice.edu/services-landing]   All team members are encouraged to talk to the respective dept. to collect feedback (e.g. Collections under Services?). Debra mentioned that the "Share a Story" link is in place; C-MACS will market the idea.
  2. Jet reported that at the CMDC meeting, Kerry did not agree to the suggestion of having IR homepage appear at the top level of Fondren homepage. One suggestion from the Collection Development was to put it under the Databases tab. Jeff will add that for testing. [Note: this has been done   http://library-test.rice.edu]  Jet shared that the selectors would like to have the database trials form in the staff wiki.
  3. Brief updates from various areas:

Amanda: Based on the usability testing, some changes were made to WRC's online resources information on departmental web page. Amanda will be posting them on UX office wall for feedback. The Restricted item type for WRC and LSC-WRC materials is creating confusion for the patrons.  This issue will be discussed further.

Sid confirmed with the team that changing the DSS page content in minor ways (graphics/organization) would not require review/approval from the Web Team. Debra advised that if the content is about policy changes then it would be best to share the changes with the entire staff.

Debra reported that IR usability testing is underway. New study room reservations mobile version is in testing, and will probably be ready in two months for release. The UX office (Amanda Thomas) has been conducting lots of testing regarding linked data.

Jiun reported that Fondren’s OCLC Reclamation project is underway. This is to synchronize our holdings with WorldCat.

Scott shared that CORAL refine work continues.

       4. LSC location display in OPAC

The group agrees that the label used in OPAC can be confusing. Amanda will check with WRC staff about a message to direct people to WRC for LSC-WRC materials. Perhaps a help screen after users try to request items from LSC-WRC?  Various suggestions were also made (adding “Off Campus” next to the location; making Request button color RED, changing the LSC label to Offsite Library Service Center or Offcampus Library Service Center, etc.). The group feels that this would require further investigation and discussion.

       5. Hours. Debra shared a copy of USC Libraries Hours page for our reference. We will work to streamline how users view hours on the Fondren site next month.

 

Action Items

  •  All.  After the meeting, Jeff sent the link to the test page for the new Services landing page:  

    http://library-test.rice.edu/services-landing    All team members are encouraged to talk to the respective dept. to collect feedback and report back (e.g. Collections under Services?)

  •  

    UX office.  Testing.  Home page of the test website now has the Digital Scholarship Archive link under Databases  http://library-test.rice.edu  During testing, roll in the question about how users find our IR collections.

  •  Byrd, Sid  Sid will gather suggestions from the DSS about what IR collections can be added to the A-Z list.
  •  

    Vieira, Scott Alexander  Scott will add IR collections (based on list suggested by the DSS) to our A-Z list in production.

  •  

    UX office.  Testing.  Usability testing on students' understanding of term Databases.

  •  

    Focke, Amanda York  Posting changes to the Woodson web page on UX office wall for feedback. Amanda will also check with WRC staff about a message to direct people to WRC for LSC-WRC materials. Perhaps a help screen after users try to request items from LSC-WRC?