- Quicktime Player (Mac only): You may download QuickTime player to your Mac and record a movie, audio or screen, and do a simple editing, such as trim, split, rotate, etc. For more information, visit https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201066 . You can capture a screen recording with a mic input. Or if you want to capture the system audio, download freeware Soundflower from https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases/ and install it. At Mac system preference, set Soundflower as sound output and set Soundflower as input for sound within Quicktime Player. The captured video will be saved as a quicktime movie file by default.
- Jing (Both PC and Mac compatible): "Select any window or region that you would like to record, and Jing will capture everything that happens in that area. From simple mouse movements to a fully narrated tutorial...". However, Jing videos are limited to 5 minutes. For more information, visit https://www.techsmith.com/jing-tool.html. Capture a screen recording with optional narration through the microphone. Note: Jing is not able to capture computer audio, only the microphone input for narration.
- CamStudio (PC only): CamStudio is a free version of paid screen capture software Camtasia."CamStudio is able to record all screen and audio activity on your computer and create industry-standard AVI video files and using its built-in SWF Producer can turn those AVIs into lean, mean, bandwidth-friendly Streaming Flash videos (SWFs) ". Visit http://camstudio.org/ for more information.
OBS Studio https://obsproject.com/. PC and Mac compatible. It is a free and open source screen broadcast tool, but you could use it for screen capture. Right-click inside the Sources box at the bottom of the window and select Add > Display Capture/Window capture, and toggle “Capture Cursor” on or off, depending on whether you want to also capture your mouse cursor. Once you’ve selected a source like your entire display or a single window, click the “Start Recording” button at the bottom right corner of the window. OBS will immediately begin recording. Click the “Stop Recording” button when you want to stop. OBS is able to capture any combination of computer audio, narration through a mic, webcam and computer video all at the same time.
- Camtasia 2 (available on DMC Audio Studio iMac. It is both Mac and PC compatible, see system requirement: https://www.techsmith.com/camtasia-system-requirements.html): Camtasia 2 is able to record a video of your screen, then use the simple video editor to create a high-quality video. It costs $199. For more information, visit https://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html . Camtasia is able to capture any combination of computer audio, narration through a mic, webcam and computer video all at the same time.
- iShowU HD Instant (Mac only): "iShowU Instant is the fastest, most feature filled realtime screen capture tool from shinywhitebox yet. It takes key features from both "Classic" and HD Pro, and merges them into a single product, making 'Instant' the only app you'll ever need to create recordings quickly....". Standard + Advanced costs $58. Visit https://www.shinywhitebox.com/ishowu-instant for more information. iShowU HD Instant is able to capture any combination of computer audio, narration through a mic, webcam and computer video all at the same time.
- Snapz Pro X (Mac only): "Snapz Pro X allows you to effortlessly record anything on your screen*, saving it as a QuickTime® movie or screenshot that can be e-mailed, put up on the web, or passed around however you want. Snapz Pro X 2.x costs $69". For more information, visit http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/ . Snapz Pro X is able to capture any combination of computer audio, narration through a mic and computer video all at the same time.
Screen Capture at Rice
- TechSmith Relay https://kb.rice.edu/page.php?id=71027