- Friday, April 24, 2009 at 11 AM in Symonds 2 lab.
- The Othello tournament is totally optional and will not affect your grade in any negative manner. Everyone is encouraged to participate simply it is a lot of fun! The top three winners will be given extra-credit points. The extra-credit points will be announced later.
- Name your strategy class !OthelloStrat.
- Use your netid username as the package name for your strategy. This package MUST be completely self-contained.
- This means it must contain all your accumulator classes.
- In addition, your package must contain at the first level a
- This also means that your package must be a top-level package at the same level as view, model, and controller. Do not have it inside your model package.
- You must follow all the standard interfaces. We will use reflection to load your player. Remember the naming conventions asked for in the Project write up.
- Be sure that your strategy has either a constructor that takes no parameters or a constructor that takes a single IModel parameter! The strategy you will be using for the tournament is not required for your regular project submission.
More explicitly, the following two constructors are allowed for your strategy:
- These directions are imperative, and if not followed, you may be disqualified from the tournament. If you are worried about whether you got everything correct, show up to the tournament and if there is a problem you can help us correct it before the tournament. If your code doesn't work and we can't figure it out, you will be disqualified.
- The general rule is your strategy should not violate any of the rules of the real game. In a real game, you cannot alter the moves of your opponent in any way, so your strategy should not do that. Along the same line, your strategy should not attempt to interfere with the time in order to prevent the opponent from legitimately uses his/her time to compute the next move. No networking capability is allowed either. Play it like a real one-on-one game.
- Attached is a strategy written by Dung Nguyen and Stephen Wong that you may want to use to test against your own strategy. The strategy name is
- Submit ONLY your strategy package using the OwlSpace assignment page. The name of the assignment is Othello. Your strategy must be turned in by 11 AM, Friday, April 24, 2009. We will turn off OwlSpace at this time so we have a chance to check everyone's submission and load it.
- The maximum time you have for each move is 60 seconds.
- The tournament will be in a round-robin style. You will each play once as white and once as black against each other player.
- You do not have to be present to participate. However, everyone is encouraged to show up at the final round. Pizza will be served.
- Winners will be notified by email and posted on the web page.
- Any issues not explicitly addressed in this document will be decided by the tournament administrators. These rules are setup to make things as fair as possible. Any foul play will result in immediate disqualification.
- Any questions? Email the teaching staff.