Using the DMC Equipment and Facilities
- Option I
- a camera
- a DSLR camera such as Canon T3i or Nikon D3300 will work the best. Use it in manual recording mode. Watch this Canon T3i video tutorial to learn how to record video using Canon T3i. Refer this Nikon video tutorial to learn how to record video using Nikon D3300.
- a Canon M500 will work too. However, it doesn't have a fully manual recording mode, which makes it hard to prevent exposure value from changing while you are drawing.
- a tripod
- two Panel lights
- a camera
- Setup: Mount the camera on the tripod, make the camera facing down. Make the panel lights facing downward. Try to make the light even on the white piece of paper to avoid shadows when you are drawing.
- Use the DMC Video Studio or a nice place to record your drawing on a white piece of paper.
- Option II
- a webcam
- a computer
- connect the webcam to a computer, make it face downward.
Using Regular Software Tools
- OneNote + a screen capture tool such as OBS or Quicktime player
Using a Dedicated Whiteboard Animation App
- Show Me https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/showme-interactive-whiteboard/id445066279?mt=8&ls=1 this is the app Ruth Long, a DMC patron, used in her video that won a trip to BP field trip https://youtu.be/uYZ_dloxoNA. The free version has no way to save a drawing video to iPad, then transfer it to computer for further editing. The paid version will have full features. Here is the pricing page https://www.showme.com/pricing. It is subscription based, per month or per year. DMC doesn’t have the subscription.
- Animation Creator HD https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/animation-creator-hd/id363201632?mt=8 $3.99. We have experience with this app and the DMC guide on using this app is available at https://wiki.rice.edu/confluence/display/DMCGUIDES/Whiteboard+Animation+via+Animation+HD.
- Animation Creator HD Express https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/animation-creator-hd-express/id380381736?mt=8 free. This is John Haug, an ELEC305 student, used in his video of ELEC305 video project in Spring 2015. We are not sure he used the free version or the paid version. Sample clip is available at https://youtu.be/NmhU2BetJKA?list=PLG2Jx49pBj9Gd4Zi1uPoN3licgBFYsVyG
- VideoScribe http://www.videoscribe.co/. subscription based $12 per month http://www.videoscribe.co/buy. We have seen DMC patrons use it in this video https://youtu.be/FCFW0ljxTP4?list=PLG2Jx49pBj9Gd4Zi1uPoN3licgBFYsVyG. Since it is subscription based, the DMC doesn’t have it either.
- Creating Animations with Adobe Flash
Using Apple Devices
Record Your iPhone or iPad Screen Over Lightning With Your Mac That is Running on Yosemite
This method requires you that you have iPad air, the newer version and a Mac computer running on the latest OS Yosemite.
- a Mac running OS X Yosemite
Note: All the DMC computers are running on OS 10.9 Mavericks, not OS 10.10 Yosemite.
- Record Your iPhone or iPad Screen Over Lightning With Your Mac That is Running on Yosemite http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/record-iphone-ipad-screen-lightning-mac/.
- New in OS X Yosemite: Record Your iPhone or iPad Screen with QuickTime http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/record-iphone-screen-quicktime/
- Mac OS X Hidden feature in Yosemite - Mirror your Iphone or Ipad on your Mac Screen CC https://youtu.be/hjoIUX7zdoQ
Other animation tools
Character Animator, A very user-friendly animation tool built in within After effects.